Just when you need a dose of nostalgia this holiday season, Old-Fashioned Holiday Weekend launches December 3-5 during Chester County Hospital Lights Up Holiday Weekends in West Chester.
“Those who make it a tradition to visit West Chester every holiday season – and those who have been meaning to – will not want to miss an Old-Fashioned Holiday Weekend. We’ll be decked out in thousands of twinkling lights for the borough’s beloved Tree Lighting Ceremony as iconic images of West Chester’s holidays past are projected on borough buildings. It’s all followed by a fabulous holiday market, free photos with Santa, the Little Lincolns Gettysburg Address Competition, holiday home tour, a performance of Scrooge! and much more,” says Katie Walker, President of the Greater West Chester Chamber of Commerce, the organizer of Chester County Hospital Lights Up Holiday Weekends in West Chester.
As visitors discover the one-of-a-kind shops and restaurants that make West Chester so vibrant, they’ll enjoy a jam-packed weekend of festivities including:
Friday, December 3
- First Friday in the borough and stores will be open late!
- FREE street-level parking
- Iconic images from holidays past projected on borough buildings
- 6:45 p.m. – 8 p.m. – Traditional Tree Lighting Ceremony on the steps of the Historic Chester County Courthouse on 2 North High Street. Featuring dignitaries, Miss Pennsylvania, Santa, surprise guests and live music from the West Chester University Gospel Choir, West Chester University Marching Band, acappella group Under A Rest, and West Chester Area School District Honors Choir. In addition to the traditional decorations, the tree will be feature over 60 handmade ornaments created by local non-profits and businesses in Chester County.
Saturday, December 4
- 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Holiday Market and Green Sale at the Chester County History Center on 225 North High Street. Shop in this locally curated market for original items including gifts, green, wreaths and more!
- 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. – Holiday Home Tour will showcase eight homes on the north side of the borough decked out for the holidays. Tickets available from the West Chester Public Library at org. Holiday Door Tour also starts Saturday and runs until December 19.
- 11 a.m – 12 p.m. – Little Lincolns Gettysburg Address Competition on the steps of the Historic County Courthouse. Middle school students from across the county put on their best Lincoln attire and recite the Gettysburg Address. More info available at the Chester County Community Foundation at org
- 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. & 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. – West Chester’s Merrie Minstrels Carolers stroll through the borough and greet visitors.
- 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. – FREE Hot Chocolate and Coffee at Northwestern Mutual’s offices at 200 North High Street, Suite 300 (across from the History Center)
- 2 p.m. – 3 p.m. – Making Spirits Bright Holiday Music Series featuring Peirce Middle School/Henderson High School Jazz Bands and Henderson High School Chamber Choir at the Historic Chester County Courthouse on 2 North High Street.
- 2 p.m. & 4 p.m. – Scrooge! Produced by West Chester Dance Works in residence at Diane Matthews School of Dance Arts. Located at West Chester United Methodist Church. Tickets at eventbrite.com
- 3 p.m. – Santa is Coming! Wave to Santa as he tours the borough on a fire truck.
- Evening – Free photos with Santa organized by the West Chester Borough Parks and Recreation Department at Marshall Square Park gazebo (200 E. Marshall St.) Leashed pets welcome. More info at west-chester.com
For more details on daily events, visitors should be sure to check an updated schedule at GWCC.org.
Chester County Hospital and more than 50 local businesses are making it all possible. On Old-Fashioned Holiday Weekend, special thanks goes to: Christmas tree sponsor Lamb McErlane, Making Spirits Bright Holiday Music Series sponsor First Bank, Professional Gingerbread House Competition sponsor Delphi Wealth Management Group, Santa on the Fire Truck sponsor Tolsdorf Oil Lube Express and West Chester Downtown Foundation.
Entire blocks of the borough will be illuminated thanks to premium sponsors Benchmark Federal Credit Union, First Bank of New Jersey, Oakbourne Advisors, West Chester University, West Chester Business Improvement District and West Pharmaceutical Services. Half-block sponsors include A.J. Blosenski, Inc., CTDI, Freddy’s Frozen Custard and Steakburgers, Media One Products, Penn Oaks Golf Club, Rothman Orthopaedics, Rudloff Custom Builders and West Chester Dental Arts.
Holiday lights quarter-block sponsors include Buckley Brion Mcguire & Morris LLP, Dave’s Automotive Repair Enterprises, First Resource Bank, Fred Beans Ford of West Chester, Infiniti of West Chester, La Difference Salon & Day Spa, MacElree Harvey, Ltd., My Benefit Advisor, Northwestern Mutual, PECO, Rothwell Document Solutions, S&T Bank and WSFS Bank. Blue Dog Printing is providing digital printing support.
Upcoming holiday weekends in West Chester include First Responders and Health Care Heroes Weekend on December 10-12; ‘Twas the Weekend Before Christmas! on December 17-19; New Year’s Weekend on December 31-January 1.
For additional information, visit GreaterWestChester.com or contact the Greater West Chester Chamber of Commerce at 610-696-4046, firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow the fun on Facebook & Instagram @GreaterWestChester, and on Twitter @GWCC_PA #HolidayWeekendsInWestChester